Monday, March 29, 2010

And then there were three...

weeks, that is. Three weeks from today, I’ll be at the starting line at Hopkinton, with many miles behind me and 26.2 more to go. After my 20-miler yesterday, my long runs are pretty much behind me as I taper the training down over the next few weeks.

Some highlights from the last two weeks.

10. The past three Sunday runs have been 20 miles in the rain and wind; 15 miles of Newton Hills that started from heartbreak hill, ran back to mile 14.5 and then back and up heartbreak hill; and 20 miles yesterday. I’m tired just writing that.

9. Did running the Newton Hills help? Consider this: On a weekday run, I turned up Mt. Vernon street, a long and steep Beacon Hill incline, then ran down to the Common and proceeded to do a couple reps of running up and down the stairs.

8. No Gu. No energy. It’s as easy as that. About a mile from the end of my Newton Hills run, a group had set up a water and Gu station. Picked a disgusting flavor but it was just what the doctor ordered. Thanks to whoever manned the table that day!

7. Speaking of the doctor, the once problematic left foot remains fine even with the addition of some new weekday running. Tired, but fine.

6. Highlight of the 20 miler yesterday was the 10-mile mark.  I was doing an out and back route and so I stopped at 10, took some water and turned around. As I did this, I walked past a policeman on detail and two volunteers who were setting up a course for a 5k race. One of the volunteers, an older man in his 70s, asked me why I wasn’t running the road race. I told him I did one the day before and I had to do 20 miles today. He asked if I was training for a marathon? Yes, I told him. I’m running Boston in three weeks.
“Ah, great race. Great race. I ran it 7 times!” He still remembers the cheering past Wellesley and finishing the race with a tear in his eye. We shook hands; he wished me luck in the race and I was off.

5. One of these days I’m going to be smart and NOT run a 23-minute 5k the day before I run 20 miles.

4. Then again, outside the marathon, I think there might be few days when I’m going to run 20 miles in the near future.

3. Still, even waking up with tired legs yesterday, and stopping to talk for 90 seconds with my new friend at mile 10, and taking a couple other walking Gu/water breaks, I came in at 3:04 for 20 miles. My running pace was actually under 9:00.Could I do the remaining 6.2 in 70 minutes? Even if I take a minute break at every mile, I would just need to keep it under 10:20 running pace. It’s good to have a goal.

2. Any ideas for good pre-race meals? I know what you’re supposed to eat – complex carbs, protein, low fat --  but I’m trying to translate that into real food. So far, I’ve been relying on either scrambled eggs, wheat toast and a banana; or pb on wheat toast and a banana. Any other ideas that is NOT oatmeal. Can’t stand oatmeal.

1. Would have liked to have done a 21 or 22 miler before the big day, but an almost 19, and two 20s will have to do. It’s taper time.

Happy running all!

No comments:

Post a Comment