I don't need the calendar to tell me that it's winter in the Northeast. This last week's been full of chills (but luckily no spills) as I inched another week closer in my run for Dana-Farber and the 2010 Boston Marathon. So here are my top 10 thoughts for the last week of running.
1. It's a lot easier to film people than be filmed, but a short video of Why I run is now on the Dana-Farber web site.
2. And if I needed more inspiration, there's this great post from two fellow DFMC runners, Amanda and Courtney. It's an incredibly heartbreaking and inspiring story. View it here.
3. If it wasn't so cold this morning, I would have stopped and taken a picture of the Charles. It was amazingly beautiful. The river was covered with snow; the early morning sun reflected off the Cambridge-side buildings and then re-reflected off the frozen river.
4. Sure, I looked ridiculous, but I was warm.

5. Where did everyone go? Two weeks ago, I couldn't go a couple hundred yards without someone passing me (in either direction). And then, the temperature fell into the 20s and I saw maybe a dozen or so runners. And this morning, less than that.
6. Four weeks is a short time. Within four weeks, my long run will be 18 miles. In five weeks, that will be 20 miles.
7. Training at age 47 is surprisingly more difficult than it was when I was 40. Muscles are a little sorer; joints are a little sorer.
8. Ibuprofen and ice are my friends. Why? See #6.
9. Treadmills suck. As long as the temperature stays above zero (and the wind chill's not ridiculous), I'm running outside.
10. Thanks once again to all of those who have supported me both financially and otherwise. I'm now just about a third of the way to my fundraising goal and with your help, I'll get there. To contribute, please visit my fundraising page.
No comments:
Post a Comment