This week as my training for the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge continues, I'm thinking about time and distance... and weather.
1. Most people would say that having run one marathon is an advantage when training for another one. I'm not so sure. On the one hand, I know that I can do it. On the other hand, I know how hard it was.... and I'm hoping to shave at least 15 minutes off my time of 6 1/2 years ago when I was a sprite 40 years old.
2. When I lace em up on Marathon Day in April, it will be 15 years of running on my surgically repaired right knee (ACL reconstruction). So why is it that my left knee is the problem knee?
3. Finished my longest run to date the day after Christmas. A 12 miler in under 1:45. I did the math and projected a finish time of just over 3:45. For a moment, I had the delusional thought that I could push for a qualifying time of 3:30 (for my age bracket). For a moment.... then I reminded myself that it's not what you run the first 12-13 in, it's what you run the back 13 in.
4. Still shooting for 4 - 4:15 total but would be thrilled to see a 3 at the beginning of my time.
5. My donors ROCK. Thank you everyone for putting me over the 1/3 mark. With more than $3,300 raised, I'm more than a third of the way to my $10k goal! Your generosity and support means the world to me.
6. My father raised an interesting question: When is it too cold to run outside? Doesn't look like there's any magical answer to that, but I'm going to try to stay out there as long as the wind chill doesn't get near or below zero. For now, just happy that it's going to be in the thirties tomorrow. If you want to be freaked out about the dangers of running in cold weather, read this. Or for a less scary bit of outdoor running, here's some advice from New Balance.
7. Fellow DFMC runner and blogger, Courtney writes: "How come shorter distance and slower time can feel harder than longer distance and faster time?" Beats me, but it's so true. My 12-miler was easier, and faster (in pace) than my six-miler last week.
8. When six miles seems too hard, it's time for a day off. Done.
9. Umm, when did we move to Fargo? 17 degrees and snowing this morning. Been snowing all weekend. That means one fast run on the treadmill and one slippery run on a couple inches of snow.
10. Happy New Year everyone. Hope 2010 is off to a good start for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Keep on keepin' on Michael - you've got it all pretty much right. Hard/eazy, fast/slow - and when it's time for a day off.
ReplyDeleteJack
I'm a slow blog reader...just got to this. thanks for the shout out, and I hope the new injury stays pretty mild!
ReplyDelete